Banshu Vineyard-Old Site of WineryBuilding
Office Building and Test Winery
Banshu Vineyard was opened in In-nami Shinson, Kako-gun(presentIn-nami, Inami Town) in 1880 as part of national projects. It was builtto grow European grapes, produce and sell wine. In March,1880 young vinetrees brought from Tokyo were planted. In July,1880 the office buildingwas built. The survey made for irrigation in 1887 has shown there were8 buildings around the office.
The excavation survey was made in 1997 to confirm the existence of 4 buidlingson the north side of the street called "Bashamichi."
It is presumed that these 4 buildings were not barns but where some examinationswere made to grow Europena grapes and to produce wine. Bunches of grapesin the glass greenhouse must have excited those involved in this project.The test brewery in 1883 was supposed to be done in one of these buidlings.
In this excavation there were many things excavated such as tiles, potteries,glass,glassbottles,leather goods, wooden wares and some metal goods. Well tiles (CulturalAssets designated in 1998) have an inscription "….July, AgriculturalPromotion Section, Ministry of Domestic Affairs" These tiles are veryprecious excavated goods which meet the description recorded in Nomutenmatsu.10 glass bottles kept in a wooden box
(cultural assets of Inami Town designated in March,1998) may slip us backinto the old time of Banshu Winery. 3 of 10 bottles have still kept someliquor in them.
The very site is really the proof of existence of a test winey and a vineyardpromoted by the Meiji Government.
◎ Click the chart when it is enlarged. ◎