The Attic with Brick Floor
Banshu Vineyard was opened in In-namishinson ,Kako-gun (present In-nami,Inami Town) in March,1880. The purposewas to grow European wine and to make test wine.
It was one of national projects of the Meiji Government.
There is a record left that the harvest startead in 1883 and wine and brandywere produced there. In 1888 the winery was sold to the 3rd sector andin the late 1890 it was closed. The materials about the winery have beenleft in "Nomutenmatsu" (Reference Book) published by the MeijiGovernment. In spite of the materials about the winery ,an old well anda transferred barn related to the winery, no one has ever known the existenceof the winery for a long time
Around the corner of land improvement area in In-nami the red brick ruinshappened to be found in August 1996.
The excavation survey made from October to November 1996 has shown thisis the very spot where Banshu Winery stood and its attic floor had redbricks on it.
In the north of the winerythere was another winery built in 1884 and an distillery built in 1885.It is presumed that the site was where there were so many facilities tomake wine or brandy from grapes grown in this vineyard.
In January ,1997 Inami Town Board of Education designated the ruins ofthe winery and vineyard as a historic heritage which helps us to understandthe government policy in the early Meiji